View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #109
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States
Re: "IP/IT/IS" vs technique?

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post
It is often stated by proponents of "IP/IT/IS" that the techniques of aikido (and presumably other styles) are unimportant; that "IP/IT/IS" operates outside of technique.
The non-Dan system of internal training that I practice requires techniques in order to foster and strengthen mind/body coordination. Those techniques can be practiced without regard to the Techniques of Aikido or any other style. Also mind/body coordination skills are applicable to a wide range of activities. The Aikido Techniques I practice may be done with or without mind and body coordinated so in that sense, you could say that the Aikido Techniques are unimportant.

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post
In my very limited experience, I would have to say I disagree. In my admittedly short exposure to "IP/IT/IS" I found that everything shown was technique based. It may not be what many would call a formal technique, but technique I believe it is. In my opinion, it really comes down to what distinctions the practitioner is able to make.
Sounds fair enough as long as you are able to distinguish Technique from technique.

Ron