Thread: Aikido Journal
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005, 04:07 PM   #21
Misogi-no-Gyo
Best case scenario for the preservation of Aikido Materials

Clark, thanks for participating in the thread. I would like to address each one of your comments in hopes of starting a larger dialogue.
Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote:
You guys have to know that Stan Pranin has a family to support
Well, we all do. This is not even part of the issue. Mentioning it here does nothing to discuss creating a separation of archival materials from individuals who have interests of a academic/economic (where one is tied to the other) nature.
Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote:
...and Aikido is his livelihood.
It is? I thought making money off of others who do aikido is his livelihood. I don't have a problem with the latter, so again, that is not the issue being discussed here.
Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote:
He has dedicated himself for many years accumulating material on Aikido that would be long dead without him.
Yes he has. No one is discussing taking any credit away from anyone deserving any credit. This is an issue of preservation over perversion.
Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote:
Much of it he gives away for free in the archives and in the day to day operation of the website (the maintenance of which, in and of itself, costs good money)
The costs associated with managing a website are minimal, especially these days where co-location costs are ridiculously minimal, and there are always younger and more talented kids coming up who will manage, update and produce a better site - FOR FREE just to have a relevant headline item at the top of their resume. He could easily hire college interns, as do many companies as another example. However, if he simply hawked his own products (where he is the person in the video) or gave reasonable access for others to hawk theirs (for a small fee or percentage) again, this would be a better scenario that would do well to reduce the apparent conflict of interest that abounds there.
Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote:
but he does have to sell some DVD's once in a while to pay the bills. And you must admit, there is no better quality material to be found anywhere.
Given the apparent success of the misnamed Aiki-Expo (should be Aikido Journal Expo) if he simply focused on producing his breakthrough events, I am sure he could profit considerably, all without the controversy raised by his support of particular individuals, groups and organizations over others.
Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote:
His website is one of the primary hangouts of Aikido people, who don't represent an enormous market in the first place.
I do believe that many people purchase products available there without participating in the forums or reading the opinionated materials put forth by the site owner or his cronies - not that all who post blogs there are cronies, but there is a undeniable connection between (emotionally) supported bloggers and the economic benefit that comes along with it.
Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote:
Where else would you expect Stan to market his products?
This is an effort to discern proper ownership of the archival materials of the Founder and his direct disciples. It is clear that there is current ownership. However whether the current situation is the best possible scenario is the question being discussed in the thread.
Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote:
He is as class an act as you're likely to find, and I think some of us need to reassess his contribution to our art, and cut the guy some slack.
The same could be said of the current and former president of the United States, but it isn't, is it? No one gets slack because while on the face of things there may be an air of class, or what have you. However, dig a bit deeper and you will always find a mélange of motivations that could be debated till the cows come home, so again, this is not a personal assassination of an individual, but a conversation of how possibly to better manage the important job that he took on with the best of intentions.

Clark, I would be interested in knowing what you see as the best case scenario for creating and managing a permanent and public archive where Aikidoka and prospective or interested parties would be able to go and view all the available materials - a place unencumbered by the opinions of academics and the like, whether they be with or without financial motivations.