View Single Post
Old 08-28-2003, 07:34 AM   #4
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Justin, Excellent problem!

As a yoshinkan student myself, I've been through this too. Here's an idea for you. Try using the yoshinkan basic techniques for her next exam but:

1) do the techniques very slowly

2) have shite pay very close attention to what effect each movement has on uke...if uke's balance is not taken with the first movement, go back to the basic movement it comes from (hiriki no yosei ichi, shumatsu dosa, etc.). Work that basic movement slowly, with a partner and find out how to apply that to break the partner's balance.

3) make sure that balance break is maintained or increased through the slow movement and the entire technique...never give uke back their balance once taken. Again, do it slowly...focusing on the transitions between basic movements. If you have to deviate a little from some of the yoshinkan "standard" postures, at least figure out and understand why.

4) Extra practice on kihon dosa to kanren waza, but again focus on what happens to uke, not just what shite is doing. Slow and smooth is best...after just about a month of slowing all the movements and techniques down, when we went back to doing them sharply at speed, we saw a major improvement in the overall technique. The balance breaking was really there as opposed to just speed, with uke trying to keep up in their ukemi. It may not take as long for you, we only get to practice 3 times a week right now. In preparation for our test/demo, we added about 3 to 4 hours training on sunday.

5) send the student to the source for the aikikai and ki stuff...find seminars where good teachers and students are and have her adopt shoshin to get familiar with the feel of those techniques. It might require a different mindset...in my experience, its worth it. The role of uke can be slightly different, depending on the source...somehow there is a very important contribution there that I didn't easily see at first. My first response in some styles was "this isn't martial". Luckily for me, I learned to drop that attitude, and learn from what was really happening. Sounds like you already know this though.

Good luck! Wish I was there training with you guys...

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)