View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 03:28 AM   #61
eyrie

Australia
Re: Why these techniques?

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
...By subtle differences in timing and kuzushi I really don't mean anything mysterious or mystical but really just a function of how the bodies are moving in relationship to each other during the engagement. A function of necessity brought about by proximity, how solid a grip you have, your opponent has, and so on. Part of my fascination with Aikido is its dynamic nature - far more than the relatively locked down feel I get doing Judo much as I'd like it to approach that of Mifune or Kano.
Differences in training methodology aside, what you really mean by subtle differences in timing is really the difference in tempo - which is one reason why aikido doesn't work as well when you have a non-aikidoka (or raw beginners) as a uke who is unfamiliar with the tempo. Not because their timing is off or mis-cued, but because their tempo is start-stop-start, rather than a continuous flow of fast-slow-fast.

As for differences in kuzushi, well, there's only so many ways (11?) to break someone's balance. The subtlety lies in the use of pivot points, fulcrums and levers, whereas aikido relies mostly on directional changes to a body in motion, and less on the use of the former, although the opportunities are there to exploit if and when the situation dictates.

As far as proximity goes, there is no real difference whether the attacker is armed or not, the commonality of approach is to get in so close that you're in the spot where uke's body is about to move into. Although in jujitsu, the saying is "no gaps" between you and uke, whereas in aikido, it is much more lax, due to the dynamic nature of uke's movement. Again it mostly comes down to differences in training approach. But the general principles are the same.

Is that how you understand the "differences"?

Ignatius