View Single Post
Old 11-25-2000, 04:06 PM   #6
Guest5678
Quote:
Aiki1 wrote:
I think the study of groundwork as related to Aikido is a tricky subject. On the one hand, if someone isn't familiar with it and is caught on the ground, especially by someone who knows what they're doing (although anyone will do) then they can be in big trouble.

On the other hand, if one studies groundwork for "use in Aikido" and gets hung up on submissions and/or "groundfighting" they run the big risk of getting caught up in that scenario and therefore loosing sight of the "bigger picture of Aikido."

I think one positive way to approach this is to gear the practice towards specifically learning how to escape from the ground situation if you Are caught there. This allows one to not get hung up in fighting from the ground, and I believe keeps things in line with a more Aikido perspective. That way, one is not learning how to "win from the ground" but how to get away .
Personally, I think people get way too hung up with the "think within the box" type attitude when practicing techniques. Anything "outside" the norm, like ground fighting, seems to freak some people out. I say hey, it Aikido whether it's on the ground or standing up.

Of course some people don't believe poking an attacker in the eye is Aikido either........