View Single Post
Old 08-02-2004, 03:18 AM   #14
Chuck.Gordon
United_States
Re: Hakama length...a matter of taste?

Quote:
Ruth McWilliam wrote:
Nah - I'll wear my hot-hak if you wear your bunny ears

We really must sort out a mini-seminar sometime soon - I wannna see how you deal with my chains

Ruth
Oh now you're just flirting!

Yeah, a mini-sem would be great. I had a couple of potentials to get to the UK to play this year, but both appear to have been eaten by the great Murhpy god of reality vs planning.

However ... our house is roomy, we've got a dojo in the basement, and access to a fine gym complex ...

If I can sort out the time, I'm still yearning to hold a Wood and Steel /slash/ mini Aikido-list sem sometime soon.

Most of my current hakama come from Meijin (via www.budogu.com), and when I send Peter my requirements, I get what I order.

Recently, I ordered a test hak (off-brand, new shop, cheap prices, just seeing what they had) with the same measurements and got one that swipes the floor. I've got to get it hemmed. Not a bad hak, very lightweight, though.

I remember the stories about hiding feet and such, and remember my teacher laughing them off. His hak was generally of the high-water variety, showing a fair amount of ankle.

In an aikido/jujutsu dojo environment, I hate to see anyone with a hakama dragging the floor. It's just dangerous, not just for the wearer, but more important, for the partners.

Chuck