View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 10:34 AM   #38
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: applying aikido in real street fights

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
It doesn't seem to me reasonable in the least to assume any such thing.

I had a boss a few jobs back who taught me a valuable lesson that I wish I could convey to each and every single person who asks about "street fights". He was the head of engineering, so we had to go to him whenever we wanted to implement a new feature or product or gizmo or whatever. He'd listen as you enthusiastically described all the stuff that your whatsis would do, nod in all the right places, and then say, "What is the problem you're trying to solve?" And if we couldn't tell him what the purpose of this whatsis was, what problem it was intended to solve...we couldn't build it. Simple as that.

All these people who ask if x martial art is good on "the street" are just the same. They're like people wandering around the Home Depot waving random tools and saying, "Is this a good tool?" Who can answer that? It all depends on what you need to use it for. Want to nail shingles? That hammer will do that just fine, but it'll suck if you need to cut plywood.

People are asking if a tool is a good tool, but they can't be bothered to spend thirty seconds to describe the problem that they want this tool to solve. That sounds to me like someone who isn't all that interested in solving a real live actual problem. YMMV.
Thanks Mary!!!

It's so funny to me that folks spend so much time wrapped up with answering a BEGINNERS question about if Aikido will work in a "real street fight." Not to dis...respect beginners but I have a few old salty dog Martial Artists in my Dojo and they came to Aikido because they got sick of fighting.

In the old days it seemed to me that Aikido was something you pursued if you wanted to go beyond learning how to fight and was populated by experianced students of other Budo...It promised something "extra" and years later I am glad I stuck around to learn how "not to fight."

William Hazen