View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #52
abraxis

United_States
Re: Aikido and Music

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Well, sure. But you're chasing something here. Surely you must have some idea of what it is you're chasing?
Mary,

I'm not disputing that this line of inquiry can quickly get complicated and could fly in the face of the Aikido establishment. I mean, it is a MARTIAL Art after all and how does music fit into that? And then there's the spiritual meditation aspects--how can anyone be expected to achieve a proper meditative or spiritual state with music playing!? Show some respect for Budo after all etc.( Sorry for being facetious.) Seriously, I know this wouldn't be for everyone or every practice session even in a dojo where the dojocho supported it. Maybe it's not for the majority of serious minded aikido players, maybe it's just for certain kids who are beginners, maybe it's only for people whose wiring is, well, atypical.

All that aside, to answer your direct question quite directly I'll refer to the same explanation I offered to Krystal Locke earlier today: "My hope is that music might be productively combined with Aikido and that some dojos will continue to explore this relationship since there is great potential benefit-- both physical and spiritual -- in a connection of the two." That's my belief, I'm not seeking to impose it on anybody, but I'm sticking to it.

Best regards,

RT

NB See also Matthew Gano's post which immediately followed yours for some additional reasons why some of us feel this way eg.
the part where Matthew says "....There is a strong relationship with rhythm and endurance, which is partly why it's so popular to run to music, but I think there are deeper relationships too. Oliver Sacks has some wonderful material on the nature of music and neurological issues..." Props to Matthew for his comments.

Last edited by abraxis : 05-11-2011 at 05:29 PM.