View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #157
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Internal Power Development Methods

David Orange wrote:
I think it cannot be overemphasized that "internal" refers to the techniques happening within one's own body--not outside or between tori and uke. It happens inside "tori" and the effect on uke is because he is touching tori while tori makes the adjustment within himself.

Quote:
Ashe Higgs wrote: View Post
my experience and training (thus far) differs (if i understand you correctly).

just in part, using tai chi (principles, not the art) is to recognize (and harmonize with ) the limits. your comment seems to imply otherwise to me....
Well, your experience is undoubtedly deeper than mine, but I'm going by what Ark said: all the energy remains within your own body. And unless I'm remembering very poorly, Dan Harden said the same thing. Ark went further, I think, by saying that you "choke off" the techniques within yourself, i.e., you do the technique within yourself.

This was such a startling concept to me that it really stuck in my mind and became part of my understanding of the difference between internal and external: the internal relies on the center and manipulation of one's own center to generate power and that the power and techniques are retained entirely in one's own body. And internals use the fascia/connective tissue (suit) far more than muscle. And that became my way of understanding whether someone is talking about internals or externals in MA methods.

Is what I was saying.

Thanks for the response.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com