View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #152
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Internal Power Development Methods

Dan wrote:

Quote:
I'm not big on all of this talk of proprioception. Every time I leave someone to self-correct and "feel" they usually go back to what they were doing all their martial career. Proprioception will change and get more sophisticated and helpful as time goes on, and you start to teach yourself. It's a process.
I was just rolling with the guys, had to push to make a postion change and I felt my shoulder "fire", I shook my head for being an idiot... worked through it on the run, flipped him, and just kept going.
Whatcha gonna do?
Well this is the big thing I struggle with, of course on a much more less sophisticated level. I can usually understand what I am doing is wrong and sometimes actually even do it right, however, that moment is very fleeting and I can feel the sense of "habit" over power that and once it happens it takes a while to go back to what I felt was right, especially sense it essentially seemingly caused a point of failure.

Ushiro did a good job working with me at demonstrating how to reset the emotional context/feel necessary to get back to that "state", which was exciting for me...so that is my challenge now, how to I restore myself back to the point/feel that was right...it ain't easy when I guy is trying to choke you or do a knee on belly.

Anyway, I am trying to work through this, but it is very evident to me that I need to invest in failure, but also need to receive constant coaching and adjustment as I proceed.

The good news for me is I look back to where I was a year ago vice now and I can see changes and things are slowing down in my grappling as my opponent has less and less to feed off when we start out.