View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #9
Richard Stevens
United_States
Re: a close encounter

A few months ago I decided to get gas in a "bad" area of town. I've never had an issue and usually just get someone asking for money. As my back was turned running my card through the reader some guy ran up and jumped in my car. I always take the key out of the ignition, but for some reason I thought he was going to start it and drive off. I grabbed him by his coat and yanked him out of the car and he went nuts and started screaming and swinging at me.

All I remember was using the old "ear muffs" boxing defense and then he swung really wide and I slid under. I come from a judo background and he literally fell right into a standing sankaku jime. I locked it in the mean Marine Corps way and squeezed as hard as I could. I'm pretty sure he went out completely or close to it because his legs went out from under him. I wasn't prepared to carry his weight and he pulled me down and my face slammed into the the corner of my car door and cut it deep.

I ended up sitting the guy on his ass and the owner of the gas station came out and helped me sit the guy up while he called the police. No serious injuries as the cut just needed to be glued, but it left a pretty apparent scar right next to my eye.

No techniques or strategy went though my head. The only thing that I was thinking was to stop him from pulling a gun. The UK guys may think I'm crazy for not creating distance, but I literally have never seen someone in Indianapolis use or even pull a knife. However, I've seen plenty of guns and have been held up at gun point (for $1, literally). As it turns out the guy wasn't armed and was high as a kite.

If I would have had my head on straight I would have realized that I had my keys in my pocket and my car wasn't going anywhere. I should have just backed off and called the cops.