View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #17
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States
Re: 2 Martial Arts

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
Yes. And, IMO, should be abandoned as early as possible. Learning how to time and control the timing of the attack is critical for effective technique, much less effective off-mat application, and is pretty much impossible if "standing still and waiting for violence to happen."

Katherine
Katherine, a question. "When" is, in your opinion, "abandoned as early as possible" mean? Either in a objective time sense, i.e. 3 months or 1 year, or whatever.... or, in a subjective sense, when the instructor can visually/by means of tactile sense knowing, when the person is ready for that step?

Myself, I consider beginner training to be an exercise in reducing the amount of variables involved, so I always have beginners start in the same location, same stances etc., just so they can start to fit things into a "Form," which is something upon which we can grow from and expand with as we introduce more and more variables, e.g. opposite-side stances vs. mirroring-stances, attackers approaching from flanks or rear, more than one attacker, etc.

So, I suppose my question is, in your students, when do you move away from static training into dynamic training?

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.