View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #39
NagaBaba

Re: YouTube: Video of my Sensei doing randori

Quote:
Paul Wallace wrote: View Post
I do believe it was you on this forum who said aikido isn't for self defense. Have you changed your mind or are you one of those people who have come up with a mystifying and paradoxical purpose for all of this?

What is Randori anyway? What is it for? What does it instill in us?

Does it provide us with an opportunity to test our ability to defend ourselves if attacked by multiple assailants?
Does it provide us with a chance to overcome confusion and panic by taking us out of our comfort zone?
Or does it prevent us from having a comfort zone altogether?
Is it training us in endurance?

I'm not putting down. I seriously want to know. Chime in everyone.
Aikido training is in some way as doing a puzzle - there are very many elements that apparently has nothing to do with each other, but all are necessary to fulfill the goal of aikido.
But you have to look much deeper that only surface to understand it really - technical training is only the beginning - kind of preparation of body and mind for more difficult task.

Please don't use the word 'randori' - it is misleading in aikido context where there is no competition.Jiu waza is far better description.

IMO jiu waza is a very good tool to develop spontaneous execution of techniques. Nage must be pushed to his limits(on physical and psychical level) to create special state of mind that will let the techniques happen(appear). If Nage can prepare the future techniques in his mind, the goal of jiu waza is missed.

Once you enter in this desired state, the techniques will 'appear' - like O sensei described with his religious vocabulary - Kami will tell you what to do You, from your side, you have nothing to do, no intellectual effort at all.
Such spontaneous execution of techniques will be a sure sign that you are aligned with the Nature

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo