View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #153
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States
Re: Can we see that aikido is all over the place in MMA?

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
It's a semantic error only according to your definition.
It's a semantic error according any definition that allows the word aikido to serve as the name for a particular martial art.

Quote:
According to other's definitions that may not be the case - in fact, according to other definitions calling what you do in the dojo with the funny clothes on may well be a semantic error
Then their definitions are wrong. Morihei Ueshiba created a martial art whose technical basis was Daito-ryu aiki-jujutsu and called it aikido. One might argue that what I'm doing is not true to the founder's vision of aikido, or that it does not properly express aiki, and therefore does not qualify as true aikido, and I could not disprove that. But that doesn't make me calling my martial art aikido a semantic error. It's only a semantic error if aikido is not the name of a particular martial art.

Quote:
And no, linguistically a word doesn't have to be that tightly defined to have meaning or to be usable (take "love" for example, which is enourmously vague and variable) - it just means that further qualifiers would be necessary to clarify what you're talking about.
A word that functions as the name for a particular martial art must be that tightly defined, yes.

Quote:
Thus, for example, Stan Pranin talks about "modern" Aikido.
Which is a subset of a particular martial art.

Last edited by OwlMatt : 05-09-2013 at 07:20 PM.