View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #13
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States
Re: Kihon (Basics) waza - In a state of decline?

Quote:
Anthony Loeppert wrote: View Post
I wonder if this was a Yoshinkan dojo? Anyway, regardless if it was/n't, this story confuses me. Were you practicing a "shomen uchi some technique" or "attack however way you want"? If it was the latter your reaction is seems appropriate. However if it was the former, perhaps you were communicating unintentionally with your stance which side you wish to exercise and uke is attempting to
not yoshinkan. i understood the various kamae and its usage in teaching and learning for beginners. i was talking about dan rank. what i was telling him was HIS JOB "is to deliver the shomen uchi", i don't care how he does it. he could have doing the forward flip with a half pike for all i care, as long as he delivers shomen uchi. MY JOB is to deal with it. worrying about whether i am in in right hamni or left hamni or he's in right hamni or left, to me, is silly, at dan rank level. i don't have problem with the kyu rank trying to figure out which is the left foot and which is the right foot.
and when it was my turn, while ukes (dan rank) trying to switch hamni, i attacked. so they ended up reacting the whole time.

to paraphrase Saotome sensei (using his accent), which usually started with "enemy no care...."

enemy no care if you in right hamni or left hamni
enemy no care if you are ready or not
enemy no care if you are left handed or right handed
and so on and so forth

at dan rank, the moment we bow (often before), it is on and be ready for anything.