View Single Post
Old 10-31-2001, 07:44 AM   #13
arvin m.
Hey ivan my fellow Singaporean!!!Man so few of us around here these days...
ok listen i aint really hi level just a blue-gold ok but this is just some perspective from a newbie with just about one and a half yrs experience...

K first of all u ask what if someone jabs real quick right? I've dealt with this question before and posted it on this very forum a coupla times...see i feel that if u allow your opponent to close in like that on u so he can COMFORTABLY throw a punch, thats bad juju bro...hence the concept of ma'ai or distance in aikido. By keeping our distance( it can be as simple as raising yer hands in stance) i feel we deny him the opportunity to COMFORTABLY throw a punch without us getting wind of it. Second, we are taught not to be drawn into him ie dont focus on his eyes but maintain a soft focus like in this triangle from his shoulder to forehead.. this allows us to perhaps sense his lower body movements better than if we got carried away and started staring...if he does throw the punch...that's where techniques equivalent loosely to sidestepping and some circular movements we term irimi and tenkan come into play, allowing us to avoid the strike and flow with this incoming energy. Of course, we can opt to duck under the punch and strike on our own...

the list goes on ivan... u really got to sign up and BE PATIENT!!! its an art that even karateka and taekwondo practioners admit to having a longer learning period and in that respect steeper learning curve.

As for practicality, the beauty with this art is that u can choose to escalate the amt of force u apply to the situation...u can if u wish defuse it with minimal damage to the aggressor or outright maim or even kill him..thats something we keep as an EXTREME last resort only if our lives are in danger lar...oh the thing abt the jap riot police is true...our local gurkha contingent trains in aikido and i heard from someone in the commandos that they incorporate aikido techniques into their CQB fighting...

Muay thai kicks ass brudder ive seen some guys working out when i jog in Bukit Gombak Nature reserve, and the pro thai fighters are tanks..hell they whipped the asses offa some hongkong team of kungfu fighters twice!!! Like Ian, a man who i learnt alot from in this forum( and from others as well), says, u can always take the principles of aikido and see how they complement yer muay thai, or if u do take up aikido, how u can use muay thai to complement the striking aspect of aikido...

Hope this helps i noe its very wordy...if ive said something dumb or wrong i hope the more senior members will correct me thanx guys u'all stay good!!!