View Single Post
Old 01-06-2003, 09:33 AM   #15
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States
The subject of "doubleweightedness" is a good start. That is, the distribution of weight between the full and empty sides of the body. In tai chi, dbwn is noted as primary source of error. However, it seems that in aikido centeredness, with both sides sharing full and empty aspects, is of greater importance. This is a profound difference.

I suggest reading not because I have never studied the chinese arts by direct experience (I have studied and continue to study the chinese arts, ), but rather because I think the masters say it better than I can. Practical experience is vital, but I believe academic research is equally important. Not as a substitute but as a complement. Over the last 2 years I have discovered that a higher, academic level of writing on the arts does exist. Forum discussions are generally sub-standard for answering such a serious question. I would consider any previous attempt made by me to make such comparisons fall into this sub-standard category. You live and you learn .

"The martial arts progress from the complex to the simple."