View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Aikido as External Art -or- Where's the Chewy Center?

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
I understand that distinction, and I thought that was clear in my first post. Perhaps you could point out where it appears I'm confusing them? Also, do you agree that internal arts teach from the inside out, or is hitting from the dantien the sole criterion to be used? That isn't a distinction that I've heard. Do you have any comments on my sculpture analogy for instance?
I don't want to get off into a tangent that diverts from your debate position, Chris. The heart of what you're saying is enmeshed in how Aikido is taught and I think that's where you need to stay. Remember though that there are the ideas of hiden (as in "Hiden in Plain Sight" ) and Gokui. It's a complex discussion.

My comment about your usage of "internal style", which I delineated in my last post, should support the position that you're sometimes confusing "internal style" for what should be a reference to "internal strength". I'd like to see you continue with your argument by considering Tohei's approach to teaching Aikido in your discussion. Maybe you're on to something, but it's unclear what the Ki-Society approach does to general observations.

Regards,

Mike Sigman