View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #33
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: to ki or not to ki

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
Ki is, in part, good physics and biomechanics. But it goes beyond both insofar as the mind plays a vital role in the development of mind/body synergy. The same exercise can be performed by the same people and yield completely different results depending on the degree of mind/body coordination of the person being tested. Some exercises require that the person being tested purposely adopt positions that are inherently unstable in order require a higher degree of mind/body coordination to deal with the incoming force.

For me, the descriptive terminology is not as important as acquiring the ability to feel what works and then be able to replicate the feeling at will. Once I can do that, I can dispense with the descriptive component altogether and trust correct feeling; cutting out the middleman, so to speak.

That said, you may have other ways of expressing what's happening and if they're helpful in moving your abilities forward then who am I to argue?

Ron
I agree. So the $64 thousand dollar question is... What is this "correct feeling" you speak of? I get that if you have *that* you can cut directly to training, but I'm pretty sure the rules of this forum would rather us not start using phrases like "it has to be felt" (patent pending).

What I think is most frustrating for me is that virtually every discussion tends to devolve into this particular direction if pushed enough. Some end here saying "get out and see those who really can do this stuff rather than the gigantic herd of self-professed shaman and self-appointed guru". But that's seen as asking too much by many. And yet we tend to allow those who want to explain it in mystical, unscientific, unsupportable terms a free pass for all intents saying "Oh, that's how that's always been discussed so it's okay". Frankly I'd rather in the prior group instead of being part of the circle jerk of ultimately meaningless terminology that tends to follow the nonsense and babble dressed up in popular science tropes.

But sadly it leaves me with little to discuss here, neh? So on that note... Gotta go to a seminar and hopefully learn somethin' new. Gonna go feel some stuff. Hopefully learn more about how to get that elusive "correct feel" as you so aptly put it.

Interesting stuff...