View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 07:39 PM   #13
lbb
United_States
Re: Constant training?

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
I mean not just every day, but possibly every moment? In part I was wondering what people thought about that idea...how continuous they think it is possible to train...both mentally (eg-Mark's reference of mindfulness) and/or physically.
Well...there's also the consideration of whether it's desirable to train continuously. Consider: if you're "training aikido" while you're doing something else (walking the dog, riding your bike, cooking an omelet), then you're not being present in what it is you are doing. I don't regard that as a good thing. Everything you do is itself; it's not a metaphor for some other thing, it has its own existence and its own meaning. If you want more aikido training, then I'd say do what you need to do to spend more time on the mat. Become an uchideshi, whatever. But I bet you'll find that uchideshi, when they get a break to eat or sleep or do laundry, don't make that time into aikido training time. That's when they live the rest of their lives, which are circumscribed enough.