View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 04:59 PM   #23
Sam Williams

Dojo: Pheonix School for Therapeutic Arts, Jersey
United Kingdom
Re: Skipping grades?

Our dojo is independent, meaning we are given our grade when Sensei feels we are ready, i have been training nearly two months and have not been awarded any grade, but to be honest, training is fun so i couldn't care less about my personal grading. I recognize that other people have higher grades and i should respect them, but i don't respect them for their number, i respect them for their ability.

A guy in our dojo had no grade and was skipped to 4 kyu, and all 3 three of the senseis agreed he was good enough, and 2 of them had only met him that day.

I've heard someone on this Forum say "A belt is only good for keeping your trousers up" and i have to say i agree. The grade is nothing, your ability, attitude and determination is what counts. Here is a good story which i really think applies here

A young boy traveled across Japan to the school of a famous martial artist. When he arrived at the dojo he was given an audience by the Sensei
"What do you wish from me?" the master asked.
"I wish to be your student and become the finest kareteka in the land," the boy replied. "How long must I study?"
"Ten years at least," the master answered.
"Ten years is a long time," said the boy. "What if I studied twice as hard as all your other students?"
"Twenty years," replied the master.
"Twenty years! What if I practice day and night with all my effort?"
"Thirty years," was the master's reply.
"How is it that each time I say I will work harder, you tell me that it will take longer?" the boy asked.
"The answer is clear. When one eye is fixed upon your destination, there is only one eye left with which to find the Way."

Thats my feelings

The pen is mightier than the sword.
But a sword
Dipped in ink,
Now,
That's a good compromise.