View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 09:27 AM   #14
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: the unattainable goal

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
In a sense you could say that all goals are unattainable because the instant you have reached it, it ceases to be a goal any more. Training is about constantly updating your goals, knowing that you never actually arrive.
While you never arrive at a final goal, I believe you can reach a level of personal satisfaction. Like when I. Takahashi was transferred from LA for doing ikkyo.

One day Takahashi Sensei said, "Today we'll take a close look at ikkyo." This statement was meet by a collective groan from the dojo. Most of the members were young guys who liked learning and doing many different throws. Studying one basic technique was not anyone's idea of fun.

Time passed.

One month later, they were still doing ikkyo.

"This old guy has completely lost it.", members were saying. "We need a new chief instructor." At the time, hombu dojo was still sending out instructors. Takahashi Sensei was reassigned to Chicago and someone else was sent to LA.

This happened many years ago and most of the people involved would have forgotten the incident.

Yet before he died Takahashi Sensei was heard to say, "I think I'm finally getting the hang of ikkyo."

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You