View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 08:14 AM   #1282
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
Robert John wrote: View Post
Actually...it just means "crazy," and its a "housoukinsiyougo" ie, you're not allowed to use it on public television or radio.
I didn't know it wasn't allowed on air. Makes a bit of sense, though.

Quote:
Most japanese people dont pay attention to the meanings of "ki" in words. ^^;
Not a lot, but it's there and it's important to know why it's there. You can't understand western culture if you don't undertand that holiday comes from holy day, but we just had July 4 and it's a holiday even though it isn't a holy day.

Still, when the Japanese say someone is kichigai, they know what that means and it means what they say. Kimochi, kibun, kigen, all refer directly to ki as in feelings. Do they "mean" ki as in a mystical, mighty force of nature? No, they just mean feelings. But that's a big part of what ki is to the Japanese. And that's a big part of what it means in aiki and kiai.

Quote:
It's still vague David and still not talking about the Baseline skillsets that are the topic of this thread.
I know it's vague. There's a reason I posted it as that.

Quote:
Dude, the only reason why Mike, despite his assholishness towards others gets respect from some because he has the skills and has demonstrated them...
I've felt it, Jim has felt it, George Ledyard made a post about it and no one came away saying "actually you were full of "#$#t "
I knew a really kichigai fellow whom we called Burly Sam. No one disrespected Burly Sam because when he cut loose, you'd better not be around. I suppose if you can deflect a bokken, you can deflect a pool cue. But Sam would throw the pool balls at you: and not one, but ten or twelve in a matter of three or four seconds. In that sense, he was close to something Mochizuki Sensei told me. Fortunately for the world, he didn't have the discipline to make that a truly sustaining way of life. Last time I saw him, he was pretty broken down--though he was lashing a dagger to the end of a stick, which he intended to whirl around his head on a thong.....

Quote:
Also, I seem to remember originally when I came onto this board, I had no idea who Mike Sigman was. But the concepts he put out to me clicked immediately and I was able to describe what I was training and doing in my body to a certain degree.
I could see that he had a grasp of some principles of CMA, though he disputed direct quotes from Liang Shou Yu, whom he later claimed as a teacher. But even that skill doesn't entitle him to bull over everyone he comes into contact with. He could make most of his points without being...so....what was that word you used????

Quote:
Final check has to be in person of course, but still, if you have these goods, you should be able to describe them in physical components, simply because there are physical movements "inside" your body that are NOT vague at all
But even if someone makes vague descriptions, it doesn't mean that they don't understand--or even if they don't even think about what they're doing internally past a very basic level. Which is why I posted the particular comments I did. We'll go back to that in a post or two.

Thanks.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com