View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #24
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Training TKD/Karate while taking aikido?

Quote:
No, but they do worry about the time involved. When a basketball coach sees a kid with potential, they don't want them playing football in the fall and running track in the spring -- they want them playing basketball year round.

Again, 24 hours in a day. That's what it comes down to.
Depnds on your goals - most leagues don't run year round anyway. But anyway, I'm not arguing the time problem - like I said - almost everybody brings up the "interference" argument first.

Quote:
But are you simply asserting when you say "there is very little real evidence", or do you have data? Physician, heal thyself!
Actually, there have been a number of studies on cross training. Are there any studies for the interference argument?

Quote:
But as you say, why go there? To me, the "do you really have the time to train six days a week on an ongoing (i.e., not just playing around with it for a couple of months) basis?" reality check is more than sufficient.
Training in two arts doesn't necessarily mean that you train 6 days a week (although I train 7 days a week, and have for many years).

Anyway, I'm not arguing the time restrictions, just the interference part. I think that it's a red herring, and mostly used to try and keep people from branching out.

How many arts did Morihei Ueshiba train in? Didn't he take keppan in Kashima Shinto-ryu specifically so that his students could train in more than one art?

How many arts did Minoru Mochizuki train in?

How about Kenji Tomiki, Hiroshi Tada, Shoji Nishio, etc.?

Were they set back by this problem with interference?

Best,

Chris