View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 01:09 AM   #47
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: "Internal" and "External"

Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote: View Post
IMO, discussion of :Buddhist vs. Taoist" philosophical, ideological, political and/or religious aspects or meanings of "internal" and "external" takes us away from the bottom-line issue that the OP seemed to be asking, which is, what are the physical qualities of "internal" and "external" body methods that distinguish them from each other.
Well. . . IMO, no. It doesn't, and I was the OP.

Cady, I suggest that you re-read my initial post with a more open mind.

This is a complicated topic, and I would really appreciate if everyone took the additional time and effort to lay out their positions brick by brick. There is a strong tendency to offer conclusions as explanations and analysis. This does a disservice to us all.

I was aware of the probable origins of these terms long before I started this thread. Dismissing the fact that the terms were meant to describe geopolitical and religious-philosophical differences and not the quality of movement of these arts is precisely the type of carelessness that I am alluding to.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki