View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Is there anything like the wrist stretches for ankles?

Quote:
Dave de Vos wrote: View Post
I have now
Interesting read, supporting that high flexibility is not beneficial for distance running. It also says that when you can reach a bit beyond your toes in the sit-and-reach test, you are more than flexible enough.

When I started aikido, I couldn't do that. Today I can touch my toes and after warming up a bit I can grab my toes. And thanks to your post, I won't feel embarrassed anymore when we do this in class and I see people grabbing their whole foot with ease
I've run long distances (up to 100 miles/week) for more than 15 years without stretching and without getting injured (well, not anything that stretching would help).

Even the FIFA 11+ injury prevention routine for soccer (football) players involves no stretching, just warm-up exercises. Another good article is at http://saveyourself.ca/articles/stretching.php

Aikido really doesn't involve greater than normal range of motion exercises, or the kind of impact that stretching would help (thinking of falling). Just my opinion, of course, but the case against classical static stretching as a warm-up is quite strong these days.

Best,

Chris