View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #122
Thomas Donelson
United_States
Re: Dance, Wrist Locks & Sub-Teens

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Just like watching a train wreck......
There are two types of attackers that might be discussed. One is the angry attacker, who has an emotional upset, who is seeking to vent his anger at the victim. The anger may have been caused by the victim, or by associates of the victim. The point of Aikido Anger Reduction is to allow the Angry Attacker to express his feeling, and acknowledge the reasoning behind his anger. As the attacker expresses the reasoning behind his anger, his anger may, hopefully, diminish.

A relationship between the attacker's energies and the Victim's energies can occur. The Attacker, as he calms down, will realize that the victim now has a reasons to attack back at him. So the trust built up, that the victim is ONLY trying to protect himself, as the chance of creating a bond of trust. The attacker may gain repsect for the victim skillfully avoiding injury, without counter-attack.

Another type of attacker could be motivated for MISCHIEF. The attacker may be interested in boosting his own ego, by displaying intimidaiton over the victim. By the Victim refusing to attack the Attacker, but standing his ground, the attacker may eventually get tired of trying to attack the Victim.

An exercise I practised recently was to practice releasing the attacker, and moving quicly to an open area, where I could stand my ground if the attacker treid to intimidate me, further. One reason to release an attacker is to avoid injuiring the attacker, if the dance has worked into an area that is too small to be safe.

Again, during the dance with the Attacker who is up to Mischief, a rapport can be developed of respect and trust. The victim refusing to counter-attack the attacker gives an atmosphere of respect.

I pracrticed my wrist excercises at a dining room table the other day. I did my duck demonstration, how the wrist can be hurt when bent, and the forward and backward wrist rolling ,dynamic tensioning exercises. The idea was to find times to keep informally in practice for wrist-lock practice.

There are some attackers who are intent on murdering the victim. If the intensity of the acker does not diminish, with a wrist-lock dance, this may be a clue to switch to a more self-protecting mode, with less concern for avoiding injury to the attacker. Hopefully, the murderous attack is not encountered in a high percentage of confrontations.

Last edited by Thomas Donelson : 05-01-2009 at 04:06 PM.