Thread: Flying solo
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #19
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States
Re: Flying solo

After passing my shodan test I found out my instructor was not 'up to date' with thetaour organization was teaching. I lived in Houston TX, and ended up driving to Austin TX (3 1/2 hours) once a month to train. I did this for approximately 9 years. The good news was that I had a basis to work from, an instructor who could dish out a 'monthly lesson', who I became friends with and let me stay at his place when I came in so I could train for the weekend without a hotel bill.

Some suggestions.
Have a serious conversation with your instructor about a training program for you.

See if you can stay at the dojo overnight and make it 2 classes when you make the trip.

Try to find a local training partner to travel with you (split the costs) , and who will get th esame lesson you do when you are at the dojo. This partner may change over time.

Video your instructor, or have him video his lesson for you to review.

Stay away from video's that are not in your same style or not recommeded by your teacher - it is not what he is trying to teach, or you are trying to learn, and it will take you off the path.

Books are for history or philosophy at this stage of your training.

Let any of your teachers senior students know that if they are in your part of the country that they are invited to come train with you. I have practiced on the front lawn (without throws) of one of my teacher's senior students' mother's house when I was in Dallas and he was in town visiting.

Make every weekend seminar your teacher - or his teacher gives.

It is a tough road....but of course my teacher used his student loan money to go to NYC to study over a 6 week Christmas break for 11 consecutive years...

Good luck.