View Single Post
Old 03-10-2004, 01:46 AM   #11
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
Brad Medling (ikkitosennomusha) wrote:
O-sensei regarded his art as the "true budo" so if this offends you, well, you'll just have to live with it. You may not wish to accept it, by all means that is fine, but you will have to live with it unless you feel you are the one to convince a whole lot of highly motivated individuals that they are wrong.
No intention to hijack a thread but I think it was Chris Li (here on Aikiweb) that first pointed out to me that there is no the in Japanese. He also pointed out that there is a real difference between stating that something is

A true Budo

versus

The true Budo

The first does not reject all other forms while the other aims for exclusivity. All things considered I believe that the former was meant by Ueshiba M. rather than the latter. I've discussed this with several other bilingual people, including those holding serious rank in Aikido, and they seem to agree. It seems to me that Ueshiba M. picked his words quite careful when making pronouncements (kousou vs shiai come to mind) and personally I can not see him daring or obnoxious enough to offend his contemporaries.

Your list is not a condemnation of Karate but perhaps your experience of it. I'll say it again. If someone walks through my door with previous Budo experience they are more likely to stay than absolute beginners. I think this is because they know what to expect vis a vis frustration, blood, sweat and tears.

Last edited by PeterR : 03-10-2004 at 01:59 AM.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido