View Single Post
Old 03-10-2004, 01:19 AM   #10
ikkitosennomusha
Quote:
Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:
With the attitude expressed it is no wonder people with previous Budo experience leave.
Peter:

The dojo I trained in was mainly private for all practical purposes. We started with 2 aikidoka and built it to a steady 5. Sure, at times we had more and sometimes less. Even my humble beginnings was in Karate but from a very tender age, I knew this was not sufficent as there were too many flaws with its ideology.

The people that wound up quiting usually were fresh out from the study of karate and found aikido to be troublesome for the following reasons:

1. Its concepts are complicated in nature and cannot be easily mastered unlike the kick, punch, and blocks that most learn in a day or two.

2. Realization sets in regarding the time needed for significant progress.

3. Ranks are not handed out like candy for motivational/fee purposes etc.

4. etc etc.

O-sensei regarded his art as the "true budo" so if this offends you, well, you'll just have to live with it. You may not wish to accept it, by all means that is fine, but you will have to live with it unless you feel you are the one to convince a whole lot of highly motivated individuals that they are wrong. I never said the attitude of aikido being a "true budo" was ever taught at any establishment I have tranined in. This is something that each individual found necessary for them to committ their life to.

Me personally, I have study many arts before karate. I found aikido to be the most effective and least flawless for me. I did have to unlearn what I have previously learned to master certain aspects. It is my thought that one who is committed to a couple of differents arts whether it be simult, mind, or spirit, will never master their chosen art. Akido is a life long process and takes years to master. If half your time is spent executing traning in one art while in another, you will never master either one. If you think so, then perhaps you are not as good as you think and slightly dilusional.

Brad Medling