View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #142
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Aikido training - Why are you searching for internal strength?

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
The way some of the advocates interact with each other and with folks from the Aikido community can put folks off, certainly. But if yo can get past the Presentation to the actual work itself, I can't emphasize enough how helpful it can be to taking ones Aikido to another level, especially for the folks who never had and never will have the strength and power that many of the large, strong males have.
Again, though, I'd suggest that now you're aware of the fact that there are some body skills focused on "internal strength", you should go back and re-read some of the discussions on AikiWeb a few years back. IIRC, a lot of discussion about "attitude" was also very common, but if you look at the discussions now, you can see that the "attitude" had a lot to do with attacks from "senior" Aikidoists trying to trivialize and personally attack. Not to bring in recriminations, but to point out, for the second time, that there's usually two sides to a discussion about "attitude".

Manly, I don't know about, but my inclination is that *any* folderol that is not directly on topic can lead to problems. Including people with attitudes constantly bringing up 'attitudes'.

There were also some discussions early on about how these kinds of skills could benefit smaller-framed people with less physical strength, but at the time the idea was discarded by "seniors" on AikiWeb. Regardless, I'm glad you agree with the idea. I've thought about that aspect of it for years and a lot of what I do is constantly work in the direction of finding the quickest and most effective way of training those kinds of skills/strengths, with that in mind. I don't envision training those skills in terms of Aikido or any particular martial-art, but I agree that it's an area of great interest.

FWIW

Mike Sigman