View Single Post
Old 09-27-2002, 04:50 PM   #3
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Of course there is the adversity of those who never seem to get a brake and "No good deed goes unpunished."

I thought the opening question had a lot of potential for exploration, but it does seem to have gotten off in the wrong direction as the story should have been put under "chit-chat" and not spiritual discussion of Aikido ... but if we are to learn the lessons of Aikido,and the means to bring it into lives as a reinforcement of what is good, what is worthwhile, and what our lessons will do to increase the clarity of our spiritual endeavors of faith, how can we ignore the most inane story?

Is it not a reflection of our outlook upon the use of Aikido to not see that the way we live, the stories we tell, and the way we use these lessons are key factors into creating the people we are when physically practice, or reach inside to find a spiritual clarity?

I'll tell you what ... let's throw out the link to that silly story, and look at the reflection of the question.

I do see some sensei, and students who live their lives in the "Rat Pack Style" or what I call the Sammy Davis syndrome, who would admit as quick as anyone that he would burn th candle at both ends, in the middle, and up around the sides. The simplicity of being a pious teacher is overturned by the humanity of drinking, smoking, womanizing, staying out all hours of the night, just to get back Aikido class with little sleep, and near exhaustion to teach the next day?

Usually that is the case for the younger up and coming teachers in their 20s to mid 40s, but in fact, are they living a good life, or living the good life?

What kind of spiritual morality, or duality does the student have to accept with their spiritual advisor in Aikido leading this type of life.

Not to pick apart the life each of us lead, but what kind of person should we be in living a good life in the pursuit of Aikido while being human in our own right. Where is the spiritual line drawn between understanding the tenents of Aikido's roots, practicing our own spiritual beliefs, and blending the lessons of Aikido into our daily lives.

Tell me, what do you think is the ideal representation to living a good life in training in Aikido ... and what is the reality of our lives and human weaknesses.