View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
lbb
United_States
Re: Iaito and supplies, where to get?

Quote:
Fred Little wrote: View Post
Different instructors take different views, but I'm a big believer in habikito, which is steel with a rebated edge, rather than iaito, which are alloy pot metal. It's just closer to the real thing. Without knowing exactly what kind of iaido you'll be practicing (though I would guess it's either MSR or Seitei, given your aikido background, it's difficult to recommend a basic iaito. There are variations in length of tsuka, curvature of blade, and tip profile from school to school. That your instructor doesn't seem to have a recommendation would be, for me, a warning flag, but to each her own.
Hi Fred,

You misunderstand. I wasn't asking what type of iaito I should buy. I'm looking to see if I even want to go down this road, or if I'm looking at a second mortgage. The time to get a recommendation from my instructor is yet to come; however, it's not like he does regular shopping for iaito, his were all passed on to him personally, so he's not going to be able to have a recommendation about where to shop anyway.