Thread: kamae problem
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #111
MM
United_States
Re: kamae problem

Quote:
Joshua Reyer wrote: View Post
To further add fuel to the fire, we have this sentence from Professor Goldsbury's quotation:

足ノ踏ミ方ニハ外六方、内六方及外巴、内巴アリ練習ノ際ニ傅授ス

A no-frills, fairly direct translation with no attempt at the cruces would be:
"The ways of stepping the feet are outside-roppo, inside-roppo as well as outside-tomoe and inside-tomoe. This is taught in practice."

Tomoe means "eddy, swirl". This sentence is notable for being completely ignored by Stevens and Saito/Pranin. Stevens throws in a completely made up sentence that bears the slightest of resemblance to the original. Anyone want to take a crack at those terms?
Even before Chris posted, I was chuckling at your translation, pointing, and going, spirals! LOL. Sorry, it was just too funny to see another translation of Ueshiba pointing to internal principles.

Dan's post about content aside, I've found that both you and Peter have shown the best translation abilities. While you may (or may not, I don't know) scratch your head at the words you translate, you have been far, far closer than anyone else I've read. I don't know if either of you realised that, so I thought I'd say it, er write it. Thanks!

Mark