View Single Post
Old 07-18-2003, 01:06 PM   #17
DGLinden
Dojo: Shoshin Aikido Dojos
Opher,

They all do. When you see Tiger slam one down the ninth fairway he just demonstrated iriminage. When Agassi slams a forehand he does the same. When Tracy McGrady goes up and under for a slam dunk he is a perfect aikido master for those few micro-seconds. I've watched Michael Jordon 'look' a person off his feet. And I mean 'off his feet.'

Opher, several years ago after the last Olympics I gathered all my students together during class and using a compass and pencil I went through the special Sports Illustrated Olympics edition and we were able to define the 'center ' of each athlete at his moment of greatness. A wonderful exercise.

Human physiology doesn't change with the endeavor. In most sports we push to the limit of the body. In Aikido we use the limit of the body as a measure and then go beyond that limit , breaking our partners balance and sometimes his body. But the rules are the same. My seven pillars of Aikido wisdom are simple. Understand traingulation, center, energy nexus, break points, technique, timing and ki.

Could be a formula for any sport.

Daniel G. Linden
Author of ON MASTERING AIKIDO (c) 2004
Founder Shoshin Aikido Dojos
www.shoshindojo.com