View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #17
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States
Re: what would you do?

Quote:
Phil Van Treese wrote: View Post
"I am just a shodan..............." is the ultimate disrespect to your instructor(s). Why would your instructor(s) promote you if you didn't know anything???? All I can say now is God help the student of mine that says that and I hear it.
really? i said that when i was shodan. and i thought shodan was the beginner. i was on the mat with Endo sensei at one seminar. he was wearing a brand new white gi with a brand new white belt that came from the same package (his luggage didn't make it in time). he said through the interpreter "I am just a white belt and don't know much about aikido. I'll show you what I know." to outside observers (there were quite a few at the time), there was this old man in white gi, white belt, no hakama, throwing black belts all over the place like they were rag dolls.

if that was me, i would have said. I'd ask you for your patient. I'll show you what i know. we work through the aikido basics. and we can find the answer to that question and other questions you have together. and if the answer is beyond my capability, then we can ask my teacher(s).

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org