View Single Post
Old 07-15-2006, 02:10 PM   #8
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States
Re: Endemic aikido

Quote:
Jess McDonald wrote:
I have a bad feeling that this type of overexposure or use would not be good at all for aikido. Call me a pessimist but I don't trust the grand public of differentiating the difference between kung fu, ninjas, or aikido when it comes down to technique, history, or most importantly, the philosophy. My prediction: A whole lot of people doing techniques sub-par and frankly, are dangerous. We don't need little kids or teens learning elbow locks at school. Police; fine but I'm sure they aren't thinking of keeping the criminal unhurt during the arrest. As for criminals; my God, O Sensei must be rolling in his grave. That's the last part of society we want practicing aikido. I think only a small percentage will realize what aikido is really about. The rest will see it as just another means to kick someones @$$, nothing more. Plus, who will be doing all this teaching; my gym teacher? Please. This is not a good idea people. Let those that will practice aikido find aikido in the proper settings; dojos, seminars etc. not gym class in high school. Anyhoo, please feel free to rant away at my reply. Thanks!!

i completely agree.
Aikido would mostly likely be gone to pot if it were as mainstream as football or baseball.

And i would be willing to bet that the general public will not focus so much time on a hobby unless they can compete to see who is the best. This is the only way to make something mainstream. The reason football is mainstream is because we can watch it on tv and cheer for our favorite team and make bets and what not. If we couldn't do that with aikido, then it wouldn't keep anyone's attention long enough to become popular.

It's sad but true.