View Single Post
Old 09-10-2003, 03:26 PM   #1
Ari Bolden

Dojo: Victoria Jujitsu Academy
Canada
A visiting blackbelt...where do you fit in?

I'd Like to hear from those who have come across this "problem" at their dojos.

A "student" walks into your dojo and says "hello, I'd like to train with you. I have my gi with me as well."

Instructor: "Have you done aikido before?"

"Student": "Yes I have. In fact, I hold my shodan in Ki Aikdio."

Instructor: " I see. Do you know this is an Aikikai dojo?"

Student: " I do. I actually trained in aikikai for a few years. I hold my 3rd kyu in aikikai."

Instructor: "Great.....Come on the mat and welcome."

Problem: Does that student train on the mat, at that dojo, as a 3rd kyu or at a shodan level? Two different styles, yet both aikido.

Of course the student has put in many hours of dedication to ki aikido (to get his/her shodan). Does that count for something?

I recall on of my sensei's saying " Aikido is AIKIDO. Different families. Same vision. I don't care what style you practice or what Uchi deshi you trained under. Every student recieves their aikido and it changes little by little. The students of O Sensei, when they began to teach, taught as themselves."

To me aikido, regardless of style, is a wonderful thing. It disturbs me when I encounter people and they say " I do "CAPITAL LETTERS" style of (lower case letters) aikido!"

I understand the differences between the schools/styles. I don't care what style you do. You are always welcome in my dojo.

Warm regards,
Ari Bolden