View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #44
NagaBaba

Re: Seishiro Endo Shihan - Montreal April 7 - 9 2009

Quote:
Daniel Rozenbaum wrote: View Post
An important point, however, is that I assume Endo Sensei would like to be able to teach his ikkyo (if we can agree that there's more than one valid interpretation of this "basic" technique). And in order to be able to do that, he needs to establish a common vocabulary, intent and feeling with the practitioners in attendance.

Daniel
Hello Daniel,
I know this is an important point. And this is the biggest weakness of this kind of teaching. Ch.Tissier calls it a 'Code". Without that, they are not able to teach in this style.
Me, without using beautiful words, I call it simply a 'uke set up', exactly as Pavlov trained his dogs.

Aikido is basically cooperating practice. But this is not enough for Endo sensei (and Ch. Tisser) teaching. In his style, uke must play a role by following particular rules. Similarly like an actor in the movie or in the theatre plays a role. I personally believe this approach has nothing to do with O sensei Budo training. In such environment, Nage is fooling himself, and Uke is helping him to create more and more illusions. It isn't a Way toward Harmony. It is a Way toward self satisfaction.

I strongly believe the capabilty of Nage must be independent of Uke's will. Instructor must be able to demonstrate the principles that he is teaching on any uke, not only on those that follow a 'set up'.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo