View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #20
Suru
United_States
Re: Aikido in the UFC

Ledyard Sensei, thanks for that information. When I spoke of Saotome Shihan's happiness, it was rather quick and projective. I can totally see how passing on O'Sensei's Aikido is indeed a burden. It's not like he's super-rich because of it, or, more importantly, has gobs of free time to spend whatever income he makes. One of his books had slipped my mind at the time. His book about woodworking, tailoring, cooking, Shodo, and other arts in which he partakes, certainly shows he finds enjoyment and probably much of his happiness in these undertakings. I know what he means! I am fortunate enough to have spent last winter in woodworking, ceramics, and painting. Making my own jo and bokken seemed impossible at first, but working with much guidance from a master who had never seen an Aikido weapon, we pulled it off. My jo is pretty much perfect, as we were fortunate enough to find a 1.5 x 5 of walnut that reached perfectly to my armpit. The clearer I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, the happier I was. Making a jo, bokken, and kake out of raw planks really felt good. The bokken is a little too thick, as my fingers don't quite touch the base of my hand, but it's not so far off that I wouldn't use it in class on that glorious day I go back. I made ceramics, mostly Western Raku, for about 17 friends and family members. Making them, I was happy. Giving them to people I love made me happier. I got back into acrylic painting, and covering a 50" x 50" canvas after stretching it is not easy. But I'm really happy with my neurotransmitter synapse image, even though I'll probably never give it away. The same is true for my kanji paintings of the elements, as well as, ai, ki, jin, and kikari. I have received an incredible, natural high from my paintings. Anyway, I've been rambling. The point is that I appreciate your views, Sensei, and I have some understanding first hand of what you mean.

Drew