View Single Post
Old 08-14-2015, 01:52 AM   #29
ryback
Re: Choosing the right Aikido Dojo.

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
Why shouldn't he? If you want certification from a certain recognised and respected group that says that they guarantee that, according to them, you have a certain skill set and have achieved a certain level of that skill, should they not expect something in return? What is a few hundred dollars over the span of years it takes to achieve those skill levels? People spend far far more in other pursuits of skill than most people spend in martial arts just to get to shodan.

I personally spent $30k ,in 18 months, to acquire certifications in my equestrian skills as a rider and trainer, I could have just gone out and told people, I am self taught and have "X" number of years of experience riding and training horses and people do that. And most people who are looking for quality are willing to pay more for a trainer who has certifications from well known reputable training programs. They are also more willing to trust that the trainer will use methods that they are comfortable with and want used on their horses. If I wanted my horse to be trained for top reining competition I would not send her to a highly recognised trainer of classical dressage horses.

In my 6 years in aikido the fees I have been required by my teachers to pay in order to attain the rank of shodan have amounted to Approximately $5,210. That does not include seminars I have elected to attend which were not required in order to receive promotion.Compared to what it cost to gain a similar level of skill in the horse world this is a very small price to pay. Of that amount $4320 of it was for monthly(about $868 a year) dues which help to keep the rent paid. That leaves $890 that went to the ASU for affiliation dues and testing fees. I can't take riding lessons from a backyard, self trained hack for that price, let alone someone who has years of experience that practices at a high level and has recognition in the horse world as a quality instructor.

Knowing the background of the person you want to learn from can provide some idea of what might be expected as far as style of the art they teach as well as the philosophy of teaching they might have. If someone can't tell you where they came from how can you start to guess who they might be and whether they might be what you are looking for?

Six and a half years ago I decided to try aikido. As advised by a friend who is involved professionally in martial arts, I looked up all of the dojos in my area and contacted them asking questions about their teaching programs lineage and background. I didn't end up going to the dojo with the highest ranking instructor, I went to the one that answered my questions. Even though the answer was simply, "Just come."

It was not the rank, or the linage that made me chose to train there. It was the sincere and kind welcome and the quality of the instruction. The fact that the instructors could tell me where and how they developed their skills, from whom they learn, and seeing that they continue to work on their own growth and education were important factors. The fact that I quickly saw the passion that these people had for their art and the strong desire to be as effective in teaching that art as they could. The fact that those teachers are strongly motivated by the desire to be a credit to their own teachers. They don't teach aikido to make money or to be admired and called sensei. They teach aikido because they love the art and in order to continue to train and develop in the way that they want to go, they had to open a dojo.

So the dojo I chose just also happens to be affiliated with the ASU. Since the people I wish to train under have chosen this route I pay the dues and the testing fees associated with that membership. If they decided tomorrow to become independent or join some other affiliation I would still chose to train with my teachers. Because these are the people I wish to learn from and train with and share a significant and important part of my life with.

Six years down the road, and every day, for many reasons, I am more convinced that I could not have made a better choice.
First of all, if a recognition is actually rightfully earned, nobody should expect nothing in return. You expect something in return only if you have done somebody a special favour or in commercial give and take which is exactly my point. Many organizations
rare making thousands and thousands of dollars or euros by selling...thin air! They sell the ranks making clear profit out of this rotten system. Of course that does not apply to all organizations...
Now, what is a reputable organization? Even aikikai has a Doshu who ends up there every new generation by the legacy of the name Ueshiba. So, the head of the most reputable organization, that has many other organizations and so called systems and styles under its wing is not even the best! He us just the next link in the chain of the Ueshiba dynasty! And he is also beyond rank! Who the hell tested HIM and put him up his throne? Nobody! And he is giving demonstrations representing aikido and he is also giving his permission and his "official seal" for everybody else's promotion and
e is making a lot of money doing that! And there are real good aikido warriors out there, that have to pay their money for their promotion and recognition! Recognition by an organization whose head was put there because of his name! How more fake, how more lame can it get than that? For decades it has been so, cultivating a rotten system of ranks that reflect nothing, absolutely nothing!!
I will say it again because some people seem to miss the whole point. Compare two aikidoists, same rank and same organization and you will find out that sometimes they are on a completely different level technically. Back in 1988 Steven Seagal Sensei was 6th Dan and he was the best! There were 8th, 9th dans out there that wouldn't even come close to his technique. Now that his image and priorities are a bit changed, let's say not so close to aikido as they used to be, he is a 7th Dan! And although he is worse than he used to be, he is still the best among other people who are...higher ranking than him! How come?? So what does ranking reflect? What good will it be in a fighting situation? We need to concentrate on martial effectiveness and skill if we need something solid to compare the teachers...
As I said before, recognition is not a bad thing. My point is that we cannot choose the right dojo based on such criteria!