View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #97
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States
Re: Ki to the Highway

Quote:
Matthew Story wrote: View Post
You have me there; I'm not a biologist. But as I see it, the burden of proof is on the believer and not the non-believer. We all learned in high school biology that the brain sends electric signals to the muscles by way of the nervous system and the muscles respond; I think it's up to the ki believer to explain why that's not good enough.
I just see another layer there that helps explain what is happening with fascia and not muscle. I don't see the nervous system doing much with fascia - but as I said, who knows for sure.

Quote:
It's going nowhere because, on this particular point, you're wrong and you either can't see it or won't admit it. I'm sorry to sound harsh, and I mean no disrespect, but history is clear about this. The assertion that something must be correct because lots of people have believed it over a long period of time is just plain wrong. It has been disproved over and over again.
Simple qualitative analysis - the larger the sample of data, the higher probability of a true outcome - of course, not a guarantee.

Quote:
You are seeing a gap that I don't see. What in the martial arts needs explaining and cannot be explained by physics?
some of the things like I talked about at the bottom

Quote:
I simply don't believe that happens.
no one is trying to convert you to believe anything - just sharing thoughts and experiences.

Quote:
I think what you are describing is actually the effect of subtle changes in what our muscles are doing and how they are asserting themselves. The reason that sometimes we don't see much of it externally is that our muscles aren't visible from the outside, especially in a gi. There are some guys (like the aforementioned Ikeda) that have gotten very good at doing this very subtly--and that kind of skill is an amazing thing and should not be scoffed at--but they're still using physics.
How can a subtle change in my muscles present a feeling of an energy moving and changing directions in someone else? especially when muscle contractions inhibits the flow of energy.
I
Quote:
It can't. But I question your belief that controlling someone else's will is possible.
who said I was controlling their will? I said their ki

Quote:
Which I consider strong evidence that it doesn't really exist.
there is no evidience that it does not exist nor is there real evidence that it does - all we have are beliefs based on opinion and experience.

Quote:
Once again, I've never heard such a question (at least in terms of how the martial arts work), and once again, the burden of proof is on the believer and not the non-believer.
There is no burden of proof for anyone here since I am not trying to prove anything - as I said, just sharing some beliefs based on opinion and experiences. As you progress though your martial life and gain more experiences, you will change things as well, and you may even revisit things you were told did not exist because you may have come across some stuff that may point in a different direction.

Good luck in your journey

Greg