View Single Post
Old 09-26-2003, 04:04 PM   #22
BKimpel
I think you hit the nail on the head Bob, with your comment about why you don't see it in the other martial arts as much as in Aikido. People that study Aikido do so with a desire to be nice to people (albeit while defending themselves), and Aikidoka make easy pray for jerks when they are "actively" trying not to fall to the jerks level.

When I was only a yellow belt in Karate, I was sparring with a brown belt one time and the tension level was building because he was toying with me, sort of showing off. He cranked me real hard in the face and my tooth chipped (and I swallowed the piece - quite a disgusting feeling, he he). Sensei jumped in as he immediately sensed the tension between the two of us was at a "breaking" point and he took me aside. He said, "your spirit is great, but you should try a different block" with a smirk on his face (implying that I should try blocking period). The tension was gone instantly, and both of us got back to business (and I used my arms to block instead of my face).

In Aikido, the tension can go almost unnoticed because of the nature of the art it self.

Unless sensei is right beside you it is difficult for him to notice subtle things like two people crushing each other's wrists, or if nage is ignoring ukes tapping, etc.

The only remedy for Aikido tension issues is to create a comfortable, open communication system between sensei and his students. Even if sensei IS an approachable guy, he must explicitly reinforce this openness just to combat the natural tendency of the student to avoid conflict (the reason they like Aikido in the first place).

Bruce

Bruce Kimpel