View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #52
Alberto_Italiano
Re: "Yes there is kicking and punching in Aikido..."

At the risk of speaking to myself, and just for the intellectual stimulus I feel (but hopefully can be of some minimal use also for others): it is in fact possibile to be totally spent and yet to have vigorous muscular energies.

You get hit on the face for two rounds by a foe much more skilled than you - at that point you start realizing that each new punch is affecting your breathing reserves: there can be a medical explanation for it, arguably, but I don't know it. I only know as a fact that there comes a time when you realize that being hit on your face is not a problem because of the strength placed in the hits (they may even be mild ones at that point, with no consquences as far as brain concussion is concerned) but because each of them taxes your breath and takes away from you a portion of your oxygen reserves.

You feel this clearly, you realize you're entering into anaerobic exertion.

Anaerobic exertion is what is normally done in body building gyms.
Your muscles are still capable of delivering powerful stuff, yet you know that you're spent. If asked to lift 20 kilos with one of your biceps, you will lift them.
Yet you feel that your peripherical districts are responsive if you summon in them all your will, yet you realize that your overall condition has been heavily taxed.

You know you can still hit back, and yet you also know you're done.
At that point you realize that going on is fruitless.

It is regrettable that in that match the only visual of Mugabi on the ground is from his back - there was also one that showed him frontal, and you could see clearly that while he sat he was also thinking.
He knew he was spent - there was no point in getting up in order to deliver a few anaerobic blows, he knew with finality that getting one more punch by Hagler would have deprived him even of the last drop of oxygen - and then what?