View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 06:56 AM   #20
Joe Jutsu
Dojo: Currently relocating
United_States
Re: Why did almost all of K.Tohei's students establish independent ryuha?

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote: View Post
And this is an example of what I mentioned about level of awareness. The teacher senior to all the senior students in Seidokan and of comparable experience to Rod Kobayashi and who you are probably not aware of simply because he decided not to separate from Ki Society in 1981. He is the chief instructor of Southern California Ki Society schools now and a 7th dan and has several programs with 4th and 5th dans in charge under him. He also keeps a very low profile and only recently is there a website,
http://www.socalkisociety.org/activities.html . There is no promotional bio, but he started Aikido about 50 years ago when he was a teenager.

One of those teachers I wish I could train with more often.
Chinn sensei is definitely one of the best that I have had a chance to train under, but my experience is definitely limited. With such a wealth of knowledge and great sense of humor, it's hard to imagine a class with sensei that pretty much wasn't one of your best training sessions ever. Perhaps the best advice that I've been given in regards to aikido was from Chinn sensei.... "Just go out and give it the old college try!"