View Single Post
Old 07-15-2002, 11:06 PM   #18
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Quote:
ca wrote:
Most folks know a lot of Aikido until they jump up for their 6th or 5th kyu test. Amazing how those fluid movements and wealth of techniques dry up until the command to finish is given then it all comes back in a flash as they sit down in the line...

You, I am sure, will be different. But I know that I knew a lot more about landing a plane until my IP folded his hands in his lap. I was pretty confident about my skill with a knife until I was digging shrapnel out of a leg, muttering at a medic to hold the flashlight higher and doing my best to reassure someone in a language I knew only a bit of... perhaps your flying and soldiering experiences were all perfect right from the start, and so too will follow your Aikido.
Colleen, I don't understand your vitriol. I asked what I thought was a decent, thoughtful question. At no time have I ever thought, imagined or suggested in this forum or elsewhere that I was superior in any way - I just thought that the test seemed easy. I have since recieved good, honest answers from several different angles - exactly what I was looking for.
To further answer your hurtful response, my 1st experiences overseas were far from perfect. My flight testing was far from perfect. My 5th kyu test will be far from perfect. One thing I do know, however - when I step onto the mat for my test, I will not do so terrified and breathless, expecting failure. I will do so with confidence in my own ability and faith in my training and instructors. My test, therefore, will be a good one. If that offends you, that can't be helped. I refuse - categorically - to say "I am a beginner, so therefore I must be nervous and hesitant". I will do, as I have always done, the best I can.

Last edited by DaveO : 07-15-2002 at 11:09 PM.