View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 08:54 AM   #24
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States
Re: Just my thoughts

Quote:
Brian Keesler wrote:
...I know when I first started aikido I walked into a dojo and saw the 3tatami running shomen uchi and did not think that to be overly effective.
Hey Brian,

You know, I had the exact OPPOSITE experience when I 1st walked into an aikido dojo.

At the time, I was taking Tae Kwon Do, and while sparring in TKD I realized that if I were involved in a real fight, there was no way to stop that fight unless one of us got beat down to the point of not being able to continue the fight.

I figured that there just HAD to be a better way! There had to be a way to STOP a confrontation without having to resort to beating another preson silly.

I had heard about aikido, so I stopped by the local dojo to just check it out. The techniques they were working on was kata-dori nikyo. As soon as I saw it, the little light bulb in my head lit up, this was EXACTLY what I was looking for! A guy grabs another guy, the guy being grabbed instantly crumples the attacker & pins him to the ground ...end of confrontation!

I joined that dojo the next week, and have been training there for the last 15 years, and I still love it as much today as I did when I 1st started.

Regards,

Brian Vickery

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"