View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 08:21 AM   #59
davidafindlay
Dojo: Shodokan
Re: What is Weight Transfer(Taijuuidou)??

Hi Erick et al,

Sorry, kinda feel like its redundant for me to reply to this thread, given the amount of posts that flow by, time differences being what they are, but nevertheless:

Quote:
NOT "judo" no ju ? but "juji" ?? no ju ?. If that is what you meant; I try to use kanji to differentiate where necessary.
Yeah, no, I meant "jujido", not "judo". After reading the doka it sounded much like Ueshiba's point was aikido comes from juji -- I took the doka to mean making sure you have a properly conditioned body, understand the basic ways to use the connection to the ground, weight force, proper tensions and consequently energy storage and structure with in the body etc. This sort of thing has been discussed quite a lot recently, and made some sense to me at least, and consequently I thought if Ueshiba was at one time or other wrapping up all those concepts in his "juji", then yeah, it would make sense for him to call his art "jujido".
Quote:
Expansion-Contraction; Unification-Division; Motion-Stillness; Solidification-Fluidity. Hachiriki of the "Ichirei-shikon, sangen-hachiriki" formulation.
Thanks, and also thanks to Mike for a slightly alternate description:
Quote:
Contraction-Extension
Powerful-Relaxed
Motion-Stillness
Hard-Soft
Quote:
To deal with this suki, this opening -- one simply cannot attack. If you attack <<here>> you are already defeated <<there>>. If you attack -- you open this door that you have no means of closing because your energy is committed to a plane (x-y, y-z, or x-z) where the aikidoka is not fighting. Which is what Aikido emphasizes. It is not something one can "guard"
What I meant by "guard" was to try to make sure your body has potential in each direction (I don't feel qualified to say The Six Directions, but that's what I mean). By maintaining this potential it seems that you can respond a lot faster and more appropriately, with less time for "thought" (maybe because you're already "thinking" about it). I've recently started to understand a little bit of this, and have tried to put a simple understanding of it into playing sticky hand type stuff. It has improved my defensive sphere immensely. Whether I'm doing it "right" or not I don't know, but it feels like it has good results.
Quote:
That is to say that irimi and tenkan are really the same thing <snip> the simultaneous action of both aspects of juji is the spiral.
I'll leave that for the moment. If it also means that all movements should follow a principle or set of principles (lets call it juji), then ok.
Quote:
In training, the trick is to have enough connection/ force for uke and nage each to see WHERE the other is disappearing to -- if that makes some sense?
Sure.
Quote:
An vector that becomes infinitesimal in magnitude still retains orientation.
FWIW, sure.

Regards,
Dave.

Dave Findlay