View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #20
robin_jet_alt
Australia
Re: Throwing with shihonage

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote: View Post
Nage didn't do the throw correctly. The throw is too horizontal.
Yes. It is too horizontal. The reason for this is that tori is not in a position to cut downwards. Tori is not in that position because he has moved through too deeply and stuck his bum out so that when he turns, he is disconnected from uke and uke has regained her balance.

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote: View Post
Also, the slide forward was not big enough.
When tori is so far away from uke that he is completely disconnected and he must completely extend his arms just to maintain his grip, how big should that slide forward be? I bet I can take a bigger step back than he can take forward under those circumstances.

In the above video, Kanai sensei either has a very kind uke, or more likely, and uke who knows that sensei is happy to do the elbow breaker version (like the faster ones he does at the end) if he encounters resistance. On that note, uke falls very well from those later throws, and serves as a good example the person who wanted to know how to take high break falls.

By the way, if Chris Li would like to elaborate on his earlier response, that would be nice. I'm pretty sure I know what you mean, and I admit my terminology lacked a fair bit of precision and finesse. I've really appreciated being proved wrong by you in the past, and it has always given me something to think about.