Thread: Ukemi
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2003, 10:55 AM   #20
kung fu hamster
Hi,

thank you, you've all given me a lot to think about. I have been told before that nage is never wrong, because if I were getting attacked for real I'd just have to deal with it as best as I could and so in the dojo it's best to just work on trying to cope and hopefully my body would pick up on the most successful ways to receive and blend. However, I must be really slow to pick up on this stuff, my tendency is to plop down like dead meat (as a former teacher said), while my current teacher exhorts us not to collapse before nage has a chance to perform the technique. I can understand the frustration as I don't like it either when an uke sinks down like sand thru my fingers, and I try not to do that...however, I am having some confusion about how continuously I should be trying to attack. Sometimes I think nage becomes alarmed and tries to force the control by practically breaking off my poor little chicken wings. One of the more difficult things for me is to get down fast enough when someone is performing nikyo or hijijime/gokyo. I don't mean to collapse before they can actually do it but I don't want to take the full brunt of a nikyo as some of these folks convulsively double over and crunch - (can you tell I don't trust everyone in the dojo?)...? I can only bemoan that my response is too slow...